SuperBowl Sunday is coming. I know because my sons are counting down the weeks and regaling me with questions like, “Who do you want to win?!?!” (To which I respond, “Who’s playing again?”)
We always get together to watch the game at my friends Katie’s and Chaim’s house. And my friend Katie makes a spread you would not believe.
She never lets me bring anything. But this year, I am going to insist. And this is what I want it to be: Fried Avocado Eggrolls.
I made these a few weeks ago and ohemgee, they were incredible. They are patchkied, yes. But worth it. Very, very worth it!
Avocado Egg Rolls
I adopted this recipe from RecipeSecrets.net’s copy-cat version of the Cheesecake Factory’s avocado eggrolls. Don’t skip the sun-dried tomatoes. I almost did, but they really did make the recipe!
1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, & chopped
2 T sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 T very finely chopped red onions
1 T fresh cilantro, chopped
4 egg roll wraps (I used won ton wraps, since we had those on hand)
1 egg, beaten
Oil for deep-frying (or you can go healthy and bake these. Brush them with olive oil first, though.)
Dipping Sauce (AKA Heaven Sauce)
1/4 cup olive oil
4 teaspoons white vinegar
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 – 1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup chopped cashews
2/3 – 1 cup fresh cilantro
2 garlic cloves
2 green onions
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1. Combine white vinegar, balsamic vinegar and honey in a microwave safe bowl.
2. Cover loosely and microwave for 1 minute.
3. In a blender, puree mixture together with cashews, cilantro, garlic, onions, sugar, pepper, and cumin.
4. Pour mixture into a bowl and slowly stir in oil.
5. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
1. In a bowl, mix together avocado, tomatoes, onion, and cilantro.
2. Divide filling evenly between egg roll wrapper.
3. Wrap (like a burrito) and use egg to seal edges.
4. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
5. Deep-fry the egg rolls until browned, drain on paper towel.
6. Cool slightly, then cut diagonally and serve with Heaven Sauce.
The best thing about this recipe? My kids didn’t like it. (What is WRONG with them?!) Who cares! More for me and Frankie!
Do you have a favorite Super Bowl food? Do you make a mean bean dip? An awesome crudite? Please share your best appetizer recipes in the comments section – or feel free to link up to a post from your blog.