- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 eggs
- Mix all ingredients well. Pour into greased 9×13 pan and sprinkle top with cinnamon and sugar.
- Optional topping: mix ground walnuts (leftover from Orange Walnut Cake) with cinnamon and
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes.
- 6 medium zucchini, quartered & sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- salt & pepper
- Mix all ingredients.
- Bake, uncovered, in a greased 9×13 pan at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hrs or until set & golden brown
Mushroom and Scallion Stuffed Chicken
(From Barefoot and Cooking)
- 8 oz crimini or button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium flame.
- Add mushrooms and scallions and cook 10 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile butterfly chicken breasts and cut each breast into 2 long parts. Place each breast in between 2 pieces of parchment paper and pound until thin.
- Divide the mushroom & scallion mixture evenly among the chicken and spread it on top of the chicken in a thin layer.
- Beginning at bottom, carefully roll the chicken up so that the stuffing does not fall out. Dip into breadcrumbs to coat.
- Place in a large baking dish. Cover. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes until done.
From Healthy Eating for Ordinary People healthyeatingforordinarypeople.com)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 whole head of garlic, unpeeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika (mostly for color!)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup pearled barley
- 1/4 cup brown or green lentils
- Put all ingredients in a medium soup pot.
- Cover with water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for about three or four hours (more is fine; less isn’t).
- Check on the soup from time to time and add water if needed.
From More Quiche Please
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 tabelspoons vegetable soup mix
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large soup pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 5 apples, sliced
- Mix the batter.
- Pour enough batter to just cover the bottom of a 9×13 pan.
- Layer sliced apples over the batter.
- Pour the rest of the batter over the apples.
- Bake at 350° until top is browned, about 45 min-1hr.
- 40 oz. frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoon onion soup mix
- 6 eggs
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoons flour
- Grease and put into 2 8×8 pans
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°
Maple Glazed Chicken
- 8 skinless chicken thighs or 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, all visible fat removed
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced ( medium sized)
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 dash cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mix together all ingredients and store in freezer bag.
- When you are ready to prepare, defrost the bag, then remove the thighs from the marinade.
- Grill, broil or cook until juices run clear.
- Place the marinade in a small sauce pan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce temperature to a low simmer and cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Generously brush the chicken with the sauce and serve.
- 8 pieces chicken
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Cranberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons oil
- To freeze: Mix together all ingredients and store in 1-2 freezer bags.
- To serve: Defrost. Cook until juices run clear.
Orange Walnut Cake
From Whole Living
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Confectioners’ sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush cake pan with oil, line bottom with parchment; oil and flour parchment and pan.
- Place walnuts in food processor and pulse until finely ground (be careful not to overprocess); set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together orange zest, flour, baking powder, salt, and ground walnuts.
- Make a well in the center of flour mixture and stir in eggs, brown sugar, orange juice, and oil until just moistened; do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Before serving, dust cake with confectioners’ sugar.
Quinoa, Black Bean & Corn Salad
From Norene’s Healthy Kitchen by Norene Gilletz
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth (I use water with soup mix)
- 2 cup quinoa
- 2 can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cup corn kernels
- 2 red pepper, chopped
- 8 scallions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 6 – 8 tablespoon lemon or lime juice (preferably fresh squeezed)
- 6 to 8 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cook quinoa according to package directions in broth. Once quinoa is cool add remaining ingredients.
- On serving day add chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.
- 2 pie crusts
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Allow pie crusts to sit out 10-15 minutes to soften.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Lay pie crusts out on a cookie sheet.
- Brush oil over pie crust.
- Use cinnamon/sugar mixture and sprinkle over entire pie crusts.
- Roll pie crusts.
- Cut slices and set on cookie sheet to bake.
- Bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until dough is cooked and slightly browned. Cool.