It’s the start of the month, which is usually when I share my monthly menu plan. But since we’ll just be sticking to our theme menu plan again in August, I thought I’d instead share some inspiration for vegetarian meal planning during the Nine Days. (Sorry this didn’t get up yesterday, but hopefully it can still be helpful to you.)
Here are some of my absolute favorite veggie meals:
- Soup & salad – For whatever reason, our favorite (if slightly odd-ball) pairing is creamy cauliflower soup with taco salad made from Morningstar Crumbles. In this heat, though, you might prefer a cooler soup – like my “unusual” gazpacho, or perhaps one of these fruity soups.
- Potato and kale gratin with a nice, leafy green salad – Perfect for using up all your garden and/or summer CSA veggies.
- Aloo Gabi – Fabulous and frugal, this Indian dish typically costs less than $5 for the whole meal.
- Sweet Potato & Black Bean Burritos (#2 on this list) – One of my all time favorite frugal and easy meals, these freeze great, too.
- Creamy Black Bean Burritos – Uh, yeah, we like Mexican-ish food in our house. And why not? It’s the perfect vegetarian meal!
- Breakfast for Dinner – Scrambled eggs and bagels are tasty, quick and inexpensive. I’d say that makes it a win on all three counts. You can fancy things up by adding a kugel (my all-time favorite is peach noodle kugel) and some homemade muffins (you know I love these lemon poppy seed ones).
- Homemade Pizza – We make pizza for dinner every Thursday night. This summer we’ve been experimenting with our garden and doing things like pepper and potato pizza, or white pizza with a layer of basil. I’m currently (well, not *right* this minute) testing out a new dough recipe, but for now – here is the one I recommend (#1 on the list).
Tell me: What are your favorite vegetarian meals? What’s on your menu plan for the Nine Days?
** Check out more Nine Days meal ideas from Life in the Married Lane. **