Phew. I always breath a sigh of relief when XMas is behind us. I actually do like looking at the lights, but the 24-7 Bing Crosby-ification of the malls and the airwaves can be a little… much.
In any case, the other reason I look forward to the end of the “holiday season” is the post-holiday-season clearance! No, you probably aren’t going to need to buy a 90% off fake XMas tree, but there are lots of other items that you and your family can benefit from that will be deeply discounted in the coming days.
Here’s a random list of things to keep an eye out for when you do your next run to Target, Walmart, CVS, Walgreens, or the grocery store:
- Lights – Think sukkah decorations! You can also usually pick up outdoor extension cords with your lights, which obviously have year-round applications.
- Storage tubs – Every year, Target puts out big Rubbermaid storage tubs with green or red lids – ostensibly to store XMas paraphernalia. But there’s nothing saying you can’t store your kids out-of-season clothing in a red-lidded tub, right?! Look for them to go on 30% off clearance in the next few days.
- Limited-time-only food products — From mint Oreos (I guess because they are green?) to snowflake-decorated boxes of Rice Krispies, you expect deep discounts on anything winter themed, no matter how loosely so.
- Paper goods – By the same token, if you don’t mind a few snowflakes on your napkins, you can get them for a song! You might even be able to find solid red or solid green plates and plastic wear, which are perfectly okay to use throughout the year (maybe not together?). If you’ve got coupons, now is a great time to put them to use to even better your savings.
- Toiletries, makeup and perfume, specially packaged as “gifts” for the holidays — The same body wash you would normally buy anyway may be selling for pennies on the dollar in the next few days, if it was packaged up and marketed for holiday gift-giving. Again, keep your eye out for relevant coupons, like the $3/1 Axe Holiday Pack coupon in the 12/12 Red Plum insert!
- Wrapping paper, ribbons, gift bags – Last year at Target, when their seasonal stuff went to 75% off, I picked up four packages of striped and polka-dotted wrapping paper, 20 green gift bags, and the largest spool of ribbon known to man, all for pennies. I stuck it all in my gift bin and now I never have to shell out for wrapping. (Yes, we could wrap in recycled newspaper or art projects – which we do, also. But sometimes, I appreciate the convenience of a gift bag!)
- Holiday-themed coffees & creamers – Look for Starbucks, Target’s Archer Farms brand, or all those lovely coffee mate creamers. Mmmm….
- Candles – Look for the yummy scents, like apple cinnamon or warm spice.
- Clothing – No, not “XMas sweaters” (unless you have some kind of weird fascination with reindeer wear .) Target often has cute children’s clothing labeled “holiday” — but that just means that they are simple stripes or even solids in “holiday” colors. I saw darling polka-dotted leggings for my daughter after Halloween, tagged “Halloween” — even though there was nothing especially ghoulish about them. I expect similar finds in the coming days, so keep an eye out if you need some kids basics.
- Plastic baggies, Reynolds Wrap, Tin Foil, Etc. – Again, if you don’t mind your Saran Wrap being red, you can score some great deals!
- Toys, toys, toys – Price check items even if they aren’t tagged clearance, because you never know what you might find!
That’s my keep-an-eye-out list, but I’d love to know what you will be looking for in the clearance section in the coming days?