Maybe it’s because my husband’s been away, and we’ve been in “bare minimum” mode.
Or maybe it’s because I love dairy and don’t have to think too hard about what I want to eat for two days of dairy meals.
But until this moment, I haven’t sat down to make a menu plan for Shavuot. I usually like to plan out at least a week in advance, so I can do my shopping and get a few things prepped in advance. This year, though, I’m flying by the seat of my pants.
If your whole chag is already cooked and in the freezer, more power to you! But for the rest of us last minute birds, here’s a look at what I’ll be serving over Shavuot.
(My immediate family only – my husband will have just gotten home and I plan to make it very easy on myself)
- Steamed artichokes with garlic butter dipping sauce
- One Pot Salmon with Snap Peas & Rice
- Garlic Knots
- No Bake, Frozen Cheesecake (already in the freezer)
First Day Lunch
(Two families + our own = 10 kids, 5 adults)
- Blended red pepper soup with homemade croutons (in my freezer) and shaved parmesan cheese
- Spinach salad with strawberries, pecans & poppy-seed dressing
- Three cheese lasagna
- Spanikopita “Eggrolls” (I’ll share my recipe after Shavuot, but basically you use a regular spanikopita recipe, and then make them into individual portions by rolling up each sheet of filo dough like a little eggroll)
- Roasted baby potatoes with fresh herbs
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Maybe an extra pan of chocolate cheesecake brownies (if anyone doesn’t like the meringue)
- Fruit salad
Second Day Dinner
(Again, immediate family only… kids will be zonked, I may serve this to them and put them to bed before we light candles)
- Greek salad
- Confetti Rice
- Broccoli & cauliflower quiche
- Left-over dessert
Second Day Lunch
Breakfasts will be cereal or yogurt – and dinner the last day will be at our shul.
The big challenge will be what to make for Shabbat just a few hours after Shavuot ends. I wonder if I’ll have enough left-overs left to go that route?
What’s on your Shavuot menu plan? Please share in the comments!